How will the points and review for our final projects be decided if our group only creates one deliverable?
Rhetorical Situation: Pitch
- Interested, engaged with topic and audience
- Responsive to feedback
- Student (understood learning Curve)
- Client Approval
- Client Feedback/critique
- Client expecatation clarification or confirmation
- Building group cohesion
- Sell your work/ideas
- Learning to give presentations
- Working through process with client
- Learn to take critique effectively
- Non Profit Representatives
- Audience for deliverable(s)
- End Users
- Dr. Wharton
- Each Presenter in the group has a max of 5 Minutes
- No more than 30 seconds a slide
- 5-10 (max) slides
- Think about your message beyond written information
- Could do a group-wide presentation
- Grading/Review Focus
- Quality of Presentation Values
- Quality of Presentation Values
RA 1&2 Take Away Class Assignment
RA 1 (Wicked Problems)
- interdisciplinary groups can create multifaceted studies and solutions for issues
- The definition of issues, priorities, and terms may change as more disciplines are introduced into the dialectic
- Sources can be difficult to maintain uniform ethos across disciplines, particularly in a time sensitive issue
RA2 ( Usability Testing)
- Different communication professions study and prioritize differently
- communication is a largely scientific endeavor
- Finding ways to integrate users into the perception of information delivered is key to creating effective material.
Primary Meeting 9-13-16
Project Topic: Best Practices of Safety for Shelter (Particularly in relation to the renovation of the Shelter)
- Focus on the current and new practices for shelters/group care facilities.
- Layout correlation to safety
- Security concerns
- Most activity is at night (most employees and when families are in the shelters)
- Downtown; keeping privacy with window location,ect
- Correlation of mental safety and surrounding environment
- Could cause irritation, leading to potential aggression
- Floor One:
- Sign in lobby with waiting area.
- Direct entrance to stairs and to dining area
- Child Care and Education Facility.
- Storage and offices
- Floor two:
- 18 Rooms
- One family each room
- Windows in each room
- Closet space
- Counter space
- similar to old dorm style
- Communal Bathrooms
- similar to old dorm style, as well
- showers, sinks, ect
- separate room with tub for children
- Communal living area
- bright light
- 18 Rooms
- Shelter Staff Offices
Service Learning 9-8-16
Why Service learning?
- Authenticity in Learning experience
- Community impact through service
- Multifaceted Networking
- Community-based relationship (gaining the lay of the land experience)
- Perspective interaction
- Connecting the Community and University, allowing a relationship between the two
What’s at Stake with Service Learning?
- Portfolio Additions
- Reference opportunity
- Learn professional adaption
- Increased value of Georgia State experience and degree
- Perception of Georgia State increases with professional community
- Could cultivate a preference for Georgia State applicants for internships and/or jobs
- Potential to find passion
- Job potential
- English degree value increases
- Potential leads to future job or internship
What to Ask During Your Initial Project Meeting
- What do you do?
- What services do you provide?
- What do you sell?
- What would you consider your target demographic?
- Who do you serve?
- What cultural or political issues do we need to be aware of?
- Do we need to be more aware of disability or access accommodations with our project?
- What do you do well already? What would you wish to improve?
- What new channels of communication have worked for you? What has not worked in the past?
- Any interest in revisiting any of these avenues?
- What are your short-term or long-term goals? How would you like to see these reflected in the project?
- What do you think correlates with these goals?
- What do you have already established?
- Do you have examples of what you are looking for?
- Are there any examples of your goal vision?
- Would segmenting your audience be ideal for your goals?
- Any particular things you believe emulates your company and goals?
Brief Notes on Pitch and Group Plans:
Make ideas separately to create a variety of options for the client, several options may be chosen or melded together.