Reflection London

* Sorry, my GSU email wasn’t working for me and I didn’t see the email saying that we had to do a blog post.

I hope this is okay that I do mine late

I learned so much in London that I could never have learned in a classroom environment. To be honest, my expectation was that London would be a city with a pretty homogeneous. I was shocked when I found all kind of different people in the city. I ended up speaking more Vietnamese and French then I ever thought I would.

As far as the books are concerned, I loved seeing Brick Lane in real life after reading the novel. The experience of being in Brick Lane and eating some of the curries and sweets that Nazneen described brought the book and all it’s rich descriptions of food a new life. I had greater understanding of all the details in the novel and the roads that Nazneen walked through. On the tour, I also liked some of the history we learned about Brick Lane. I would have never guessed that it was once the home to a Jewish population and all the signs were once written in Yiddish. The history that was given added a three dimensional understanding for me.

What I learned about women writers in Britian is that their writing is complex and can encompass many fields of discipline. For my paper in another one of your classes, I am writing about Feminism and the intersectionality of the field. With Brick Lane, Nazneen’s experience as a woman was different than Margret’s experience because of Nazneen’s race and ethnicity. Margret’s experience was different than Betty’s because of class differences. Seeing all the different parts of London like Brick Lane and the “Darkest Part of London” tour helped me see the different in landscape and better understand the differences in the experiences of these women characters  and the women authors.