Final Post

I can not believe that our trip is really over; The city of London was the absolute best! I did not know that you could learn so much in one week. This study abroad trip taught me a lot about myself, my writing, and about my history. I tried new cuisines that I would never try in the states. I saw how Londoners were shopping at markets rather than making a publix and walmart run. It was absolutely beautiful! And the fish and chips are to die for!

In London, I was able to step outside of the box and really bring some enlightenment into my life. In like manner, I learned that British women writers often do the same through their writings. Before this trip, I thought that much of what we read would be dull and overtly romantic to be honest; however, the readings were mind blowing….literally! The authors really step outside of the box and make their characters come to life. They reveal just enough information to ground the story, and leave the rest up to the audience like in The Embassy of Cambodia written by the English novelist Zadie Smith. I enjoyed Virginia Woolf the most though. Through her writing, I learned that it is of vital importance to pay close attention to what I read. Very few writers are writing “just for fun.” I believe that Woolf was preparing the world for her own suicide in which she later committed after the publication of her book. Now when I read, I try to get a good sense of the characters in the book and see which one the author could most identify with…it’s fun. As in Woolf’s case, I believe that she disguised her life through the character of Septimus.

I think this is awesome…devastating, but aresome. Her use of her personal life placed into a fiction book was stunning. To allow your personal story to  bleed through the pen as you characterize  stories of hallucination and insanity is great! I do not believe that I could be so creative. This gave me new insight on how to write my book. I was going to make it non-fiction. But Woolf has encouraged me to play with it a little and leave my audience the mysterious thrill.

I also enjoyed being able to see, touch, and feel some of the places that these writers once lived. It was interesting to walk down Brick Lane and see and taste curry. It was great to walk down the steps that Charle’s Dickenson did. The walking tours were a masterpiece.

Also, British women’s books are loaded with history and messages. however, It is left up to the reader to decode them. That is unlike a lot of the readings that I have read. Usually, the plot is evident, and the story seems to be well thought out and sitting smack in your face for you to understand. Yet, in these readings, you have to sort of dig deep in order to understand the depth of the messages. I guess that’s why I thought British writers (men and women) were boring because I couldn’t understand them. I learned that they aren’t boring at all. I truly enjoyed the readings! I enjoyed the language that was used by the women, through their books, and I like how many of the writers aimed to highlight the underlying oppression of feminism back in their times.  These women writers are the grassroots of active feminism.

I cannot wait to do this again!