Meet the Team – Kim Sewell

Kim Sewell ECE vertical 6-22-15Kim Sewell is a new addition to the Best Practices team, having joined us as an Assistant Project Director on June 24, 2015.  Her passion for training teachers and leaders drew her to BP, and from the minute she was called for an interview, she was excited about being a part of the team.

Kim has worked in the early childhood education field for many years and understands the positive influence that knowledgeable and caring adults can have on young children and their development.  She is thrilled to be able to impact the quality of early childhood education across Georgia through providing training opportunities for PreK teachers and directors.

From an early age, Kim knew that she wanted to be a teacher, helping teach her younger brothers to read and write before they went to kindergarten.  This led to Kim pursuing a bachelor’s degree in special education from Lynchburg College in Virginia.  For three years, she taught special education in a transitional kindergarten class and when faced with having to work with older children, Kim chose to leave the classroom and began supporting teachers as the program director at a YMCA.  Much of her director experience was with corporate-based or employer-supported programs with companies such as Georgia Power, Chick-fil-A, and Turner Broadcasting.  For eight years, Kim worked for Quality Assist, a private training and technical assistance company where she managed multiple state and federally funded projects in addition to developing and delivering training and managing staff.

What is your favorite children’s book?  What makes it most appealing to you? 
Like many others, I have a hard time choosing one book but generally anything by Dr. Seuss was a hit with me as a child. Go Dog Go was one of my favorites because it was the first book I taught my brother to read. He said he liked it because it ends with a party in the tree!

If you were a crayon, what color would you be?  Why?
Mmm…I would have to say green because it is a combination of blue (calm) and yellow (happy), that’s how I like to be!

How do you spend your free time?  Any hobbies?  What are they?
I love to cook and therefore entertain, also traveling (anywhere with my dog if possible), shopping, movies, swimming, and spending time with friends and family.

If you could wake up tomorrow having gained one quality or ability, what would it be?
I would love to be able to play an instrument. I took piano as a child and did not like it and therefore did not keep it up.

Which would you rather do: wash dishes, mow the lawn, clean the bathroom, or vacuum the house?
I do it all and I am not sure I would RATHER do any of it! The one I would rather NOT do is vacuum, I think it’s because this was my chore growing up.

Which of the five senses would you say is your strongest?
Probably my sense of taste. Because I love cooking I try new recipes and modifications all the time. If I like something at a restaurant, I try to figure out what’s in it so I can make it.

About

I train Georgia PreK teachers and dabble a bit in the art of blogging. Have an idea for a blog post? Email me at bestpractices@gsu.edu. On the web: www.bestpractices.gsu.edu Facebook: www.facebook.com/bestpracticespk Twitter: @bestpracticespk

Tagged with: , ,
Posted in Uncategorized